Sunday 13 February 2011

Ranger-X (Genesis/Mega Drive)

Hey, that looks a bit like a giant robot! The X stands for Xcitement!

I guess there's no quad bikes or plungers in this one then.

This is a nice feature. If you leave it running on the title screen, the game demo comes up and tells you the controls. They're a little unusual in that A makes you face left and fire, and C makes you face and fire right.

Enemies have invaded the background! It's our duty to travel to the right and shoot everything. For great justice.

That little bike thing follows me everywhere along the ground, joining in when I shoot enemies. I'm not sure what the point of it is but it's nice to have around, even if it's just for moral support.

This thing just opened up and started recharging my health. I guess I know where I'm going to backtrack to whenever I get my armour scratched from now on.

Oh dear, this is a bit of pickle isn't it? Fortunately it seems to have one weakness: gunfire. My little bike eagerly joins in from the ground, hitting the wrong place and doing zero damage.

The thing got a bit rabid when I shot its legs off, and started firing at me like crazy, so I had to put it down.

Wait... I can STAND on the bike? And pull radical air? Looks like the raging torque fest is about to begin!

These guys looked like cute little doggie heads to me.

I was being pestered by swarms of these unmurderable flying things, but an accidental hole punched through the ceiling revealed that they tend to explode in sunlight.

WHAT WHAT WHAT? I can fold INTO the bike to form a little robot tank bike!? It's even got a different name and health bar. And I can swap my superweapon here from flamer to plasma bombs. Now it's time to kick ass!

And then one of those little tiny flying things appeared and killed me. Oh well.

1 comment:

  1. It is a really good game and I would say worth a revisit.
    Also, when merged with the bike thing, you shoot twice as fast (well both the ranger-x and the bike shoot in the same direction) and the projectiles are homing.
    Makes some flying enemies way easier to destroy.

    Also, sunlight isn't just useful to kill those pesky flying worms in the cavern, it refills your power meter (which fuels your secondary weapons and allow you to heal up in those things like on the fifth screenshot).

    On later levels, the bike is replaced with some other add-ons, like a flying platform that hovers above the forest level, allowing you to recharge you power meter in the sunlight.

    Cheers and thanks for the blog. I discovered it recently and I'm quite enjoying reading it from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete

Semi-Random Game Box