Monday 14 February 2011

The Smurfs 2 (Genesis/Mega Drive)

Lets just get this over with.

Do the Smurfs go to South America often? Meh, it's the sequel, I guess they have to have some variety. Hey! Where did Britain go? And what the hell is up with Russia's mountains?

A forest level, how delightfully absurd! It seems I have 4 hit points, 3 lives and 10... magic crystals? It doesn't seem like I can use them at the moment though.

The harsh natural predators of the South American forests, parrots and butterflies. Do not approach either of them as they are highly dangerous. Though I did crush a butterfly jumping off that tree branch earlier. I wasn't aiming for it, I just assumed it was just hovering around as part of the background and ignored it.

Snakes on the other hand are nature's helpers. These guys are the most friendly creatures around, letting you swing from their tails to collect crystals. Wait, my crystal count went down, not up. So this level is a damn crystal hunt and I have 10 of them to get in total?

To get out of that bit with the snake I had to jump up here. It seems a lot of this level is obscured or confusing. You've got to use sparkly teleporters, hidden paths and blind jumps from tree branches to get around and find the crystals. It's not much fun.

Still, that's pretty nice art. If you're going to fill a screen with leaves, that's the way to do it.

At this point you have to press up to ascend the tree trunk. Or alternatively press the off button on your console and throw the cartridge out of the window. If you're really lucky you might hit a evil butterfly or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Semi-Random Game Box