Friday 4 February 2011

Landstalker (Genesis/Mega Drive)

ATTENTION: THIS ARTICLE HAS BEEN RECLASSIFIED AS BEING 'A BIT CRAP'.
You can find my second look at the game here instead: Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole (Genesis/Mega Drive) - Replay.

And now, Landstalker!

I think they're talking about the fairy. They want her because she knows the way to treasure! Or something.

Hahaha, he's called Nigel! Not that there's anything wrong with that. The two of them elude their pursuers and team up to grab the treasure for themselves.

Hey, I'm on a bird. I like the pixel art here, the bird's even wearing goggles.

Still on the intro. Still.


WEEKS PASS.


Okay, I can finally control my character! It seems that pressing up makes me go up.

And down makes me go down, glad to see that's all in order.

And pressing left makes me go up...

And right makes me go down? Okay let's try this again. Up makes me go up...


LATER


Oh, okay apparently you just hold the d-pad at diagonals to move around.

Delightful.

But anyway, I continue looking for treasure undeterred! If only because I'm scared that if I head back outside I might accidentally wander back into the intro again. And there is indeed treasure to be found here! An extra hit point, 5 golds, 5 more golds...

Hey, I found a raft! Wait, why I can't move?! Where are we going? Why is it taking so long to get there? Also why can't I move?

Thud.

Fortunately I was rescued by a tribe of kind furries, who heal me back to health.

They have a dog and a chicken and a big statue of a wolfman, but I can't stay here abusing their hospitality. Adventure beckons, and I'm determined to find at least one enemy to hack with my sword before I quit.

That's MY line, bitch. Seems like the bridge is out. I overheard someone shouting something about someone needing to tell the village chief about this crisis, but that just made me run faster in the opposite direction.

YES! I did it. I found my first opponent. A bubble. A few well aimed swipes of my trusty sword soon put an end to that cur, and I am free to proceed. With my goal finally completed, I dive off the rocks into a cave of bubbles, and let them eat Nigel alive.


There was no game over screen.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ray, I love your site, been binge-reading it over the past year and a half. Just wanted to put in a request for a re-do of Landstalker - it's a weird, ambitious but slightly unpolished game (that whole diagonals-to-walk thing says it all, really) which has some real absurdist moments of humour later on. It can get very frustrating, especially if you're not using save states/rewinds. In other words, it's the exact type of thing you're great at writing about. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My list of games to play is so gigantic that I haven't even considered replaying a game in a long while, but Landstalker does seem like the kind of thing that deserves a second chance. Or it at least deserves better than the writing I was inflicting on the world during the first few months of my site.

      I'll place it in my brain and see if my curiosity takes an interest.

      Delete
    2. Thanks mate, really I'm just glad you're still writing anything at all! This site is epic.

      Delete

Semi-Random Game Box