Tuesday 1 February 2011

Astérix and the Power of the Gods (Genesis/Mega Drive)

Asterix and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

That was actually a pretty well done title screen, with a nice pan down.


Well pixelled cartoony cutscenes... I'm beginning to think I won't get anything good to complain about here.

Off we go then, I guess. I didn't pay attention to what we were told to do but I imagine it involves walking to the right of the screen and punching Romans.

Looks good, the controls are slick. Could this be... a good game?

Wow, I can just walk behind the rocks? What's the point of them then?

Wait... that tree looks a bit shifty doesn't it?

The tree reveals its true nefarious colours. It dived at me as I walked away, racing up the hill like a spinning murder-tree. It didn't care about the Romans it was slaughtering in the process. Truly an evil thing.

Nice of it to clear a path though. Asterix can take care of Romans himself, but it's annoying because you have to be basically touching the enemy for your attack to reach them.

Yay the floor collapsed without warning and I'm falling to my death!

And now I'm back at the start of the level again? Dammit!

Oh! If you just drop with the floor instead of panicking and pulling right like I did, you land on a little bit of wood and float through lots of bonus shiny-things.

I don't know what this is, but I think I can take it...

This cracked me up, because it plays the music from that old 'Happiness is a cigar called Hamlet' advert here. I kept expecting Asterix to light up a cigar and smile in the face of adversity.


Next game.

1 comment:

  1. That is the Roman testudo, the shield-shell, falling into a black hole. It's an armorsmith's worst nightmare. I dub thee the kanada formation. But seriously, full marks to the person who came up with that: it's instantly recognizable if you've been reading the comics, but I don't think even Asterix gets up in the morning and makes plans to fight an imperial grand katamari.

    ReplyDelete

Semi-Random Game Box