Thursday 14 April 2011

Top Gear 2 (SNES)

My three part Top Gear special continues.

My first race didn't go well. I'd inadvertently changed the controls to steer using the shoulder buttons, and drove straight into the first wall. But I think I'm doing better now.

It's a lot like the first game, except there's more headroom and every car looks the same. Also, there are car upgrades for sale. It seems they've also added car damage, which is fine with me because I don't intend to hit anything.

Uh... drive sideways for bonus points! This is new too. I only ever saw the back of my car in the first Top Gear.

My driver is even more talkative in this, always shouting stuff out of the window. It's not very professional in my opinion.

Okay, that's cool. I like how the cars disappear into the darkness, leaving you with a dotted line of red lights to follow.

DO A BARREL ROLL!

Weirdly, this didn't actually slow me down much. I was racing around the track, hammering the nitro button, flying off the sharp turns, bouncing off the walls and landing right back into the race. I didn't win, but I was far from last and you know... I think I like this game too.

Part 1: Top Gear
Part 3: Top Gear 3000

3 comments:

  1. You cannot select different cars in either this game or Top Gear 3000 though; there's only one model and the only distinguishing feature between your car and the others is the colour (which sucks!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ray, 10 years after you published this and I just want to give a recommendation: if you're ever interested in playing a game like this again you should try Horizon Chase Turbo. Similar old school gameplay but with clean polygons, 60 fps and a banging soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good suggestion. In fact I already wrote a bit about Horizon Chase Turbo here: Super Adventures in the Humble Choice Bundle

      Delete

Semi-Random Game Box