Tuesday 19 April 2011

Super Ghouls'N Ghosts (SNES)

IMPORTANT ORANGE INFORMATION BOX
I took another look at the game later, which you can read about here: Super Ghouls'N Ghosts (SNES) - Replay.

Time for a special event.

Nothing obscure about this one, everyone knows it's probably one of the hardest games on the SNES. I'm not playing this out of curiosity, I'm playing this one to win.

Today I'm going to see if I can finish SUPER GHOULS 'N GHOSTS!

READY GO!

Oh shit, zombies are bursting out of the ground everywhere! It's lucky Arthur remembered to bring infinite lances.

Crap, how do I even get up here? Hurry up the zombies are coming!


EVENTUALLY...


Oh of course, you just keep jumping at it. I knew that... I just wanted to collect this weapon upgrade! Obviously.

I like the way the terrain deforms as I move through the level, you really don't see that in games often.

The damn dog came out of nowhere!

It's not easy to steer this guy when he's in the air. Well actually it's seems like it's impossible to steer him once he's airborne, I've just got to hope I'm not going to collide with a jumping enemy mid-leap I guess. I've still got one hit left though.

That totally wasn't my fault, they surrounded me! But at least I know what I'm doing now, I've got things figured out.

Oh cool, I've kept my blue fire attack, nice.

I easily evade the dog this time by ducking inside the doorway and hiding in the cell.

Agh crap, what the hell is that thing? And I'm dead.

Last life now. Damn, I really did not need to take that hit. But whatever, I know how to evade the dog and I know not to go in the cell. I've even upgraded my weapon again. I'm finally in a position to make some progress.

I didn't even make it up to the cell this time. Screw it, I'll just watch a youtube playthrough instead...

Damn, the guy has a DOUBLE JUMP, and I didn't even figure that out? Well... fuck.


Next game.

4 comments:

  1. Nice giving up without even getting to the end of the first level or even the halfway point. My brother, my friend, and I played this game for 2 hours straight a couple of months ago, and we could not even get to the end of first stage. (Although we did get past the halfway point.) This game is so hard that it's both fun and frustrating. I think that the next time we have a Super Ghouls and Ghosts night, I'm going to dig out the Game Genie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did actually give this another shot a year later, after getting a lot more platformer experience under my belt: Super Ghouls'N Ghosts (SNES) - Replay.

      Gave up at the start of the next level this time! The game really is designed for the kind of gamer who'd react to hitting a brick wall with a dogged determination to climb it with just their fingertips.

      For the rest of us, I think just getting past halfway on the first stage ain't actually so bad.

      Delete
  2. Ah, I didn't see that you had done a second review. You basically got to the same part where we got to - not even to the end of the first level. I definitely think that the next time that we try to play this game that Game Genie invincibility or something similar is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed how some people let this game's reputation control the level of effort they're willing to expend. It's slow paced and no harder than your average arcade title, until nearer the end where it does get a bit harder. For the most part, it's just not that hard. Yet many players switch off, accept defeat before they've even tried, fail to apply themselves with any degree of focus, then yap to everyone about how hard they got bodied.. and thus the myth of this game being insanely hard lives on..

    ReplyDelete

Semi-Random Game Box