Monday 14 March 2011

Izzy's Quest for the Olympic Rings (SNES)

An Olympics tie-in game starring the mascot. I can't wait.

This game is so incredibly ugly. Bad 3d and bad 2d combined to make something really... bad. Looking at the character sprite I can't tell if he's supposed to look like that or they just couldn't be bothered to clean up the glitches.

Yay, I've got my glider! This is useful for going up and left, though doesn't last long. Also useful for going up and left are the platforms and vines that are everywhere.

The most amazing thing about this is that as bad as the graphics are, the sound effects are worse. I don't usually notice sounds in a game, but these I couldn't help but notice. Every pickup I collect plays an incredibly annoying twinkly sound, and there are a lot of things to pick up. Everywhere is covered in coins and sparkly things, and they all make a noise.

To be fair, the character gets around alright, though he's a little floaty. It's not 'Home Alone 2' level bad, it's just such a totally charmless game that it's hard to care about anything you're doing.


Well at least it wasn't some kind of multi-event sports game. 'BREAK THE X BUTTON TO GO FASTER'.

2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine owned this one, and lord how we despised it.

    On a side note, I've been binge-reading the hell out of your site, and absolutely love it. As an avid retro guy (and fair to decent gamer) I can really get behind the style of your site. Soon I'll be done with the SNES section and on to the next console. It's been a rough couple of months, and your ramblings and insights helped a lot to brighten the days. So thank you, I'll definitely be donating.

    Side side note. Have you played the SNES title Skyblazer? One of my favorites.(but yes, it is a platformer)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you love the site, and kind of annoyed that my SNES game list in the 'console games' menu at the top has been dropping games for a while and I didn't even notice. That's fixed now though so there might actually be a SNES game or two in there you missed out on.

      Not Skyblazer though, I haven't tried that yet. Perhaps someday.

      Delete

Semi-Random Game Box