Tuesday 20 September 2011

Super Boink-o-Doink (PC) - Guest Post

Super Boink-o-Doink! (Also called some other name, but I can't remember it) by Lazrael.

I remember playing this years ago when it was released on Gaming World (now called Salt World).

It has simple graphics but they'll do. No story is given to you, just... make it to the end. It's not an easy game, so you can expect to get hundreds of failures. There are no game over screens or lives or anything though, making it convenient to play. Die, restart at the beginning of the level or at the checkpoint, and continue on. There's also a timer if you want to beat your previous time. You don't have to beat it in a set amount of time though so feel free to take your time.

The yellow circle on top is not a design of the character, but that lets you know when you can jump. You can be falling and still jump as long as you have a yellow circle on top. Once you jump, you lose that yellow circle until you land on a platform again. So no double jumping here.

The blue circle here is a check point, they'll be very welcome in this game.

This platform I'm standing on, it's actually an invisible block. Yes, the game is being evil like that. It doesn't do the "oh invisible block above you as you jump, causing your jump to FAIL", but rather "There's a block here that you'd to find to step on to continue". It's evil, yes, but the game generally gives you clues to where they are. Or at least fail a bunch of times, you'll be sure to find them. They turn visible when you touch them.

I am at the second level now. Be used to levels looking like this. Some graphical variety might have been nice but it's a short enough game (5 or 6 levels) so it's not a big deal. I like that the 2 guys on top of the screen laugh at you when you die. One other walks across.

So close to the save point too! At 12 failures here, which isn't as bad as I thought but I could do better if I weren't out of practice.

This is your level goal each level. A treasure of gold! There's nothing to spend it on though, it's pretty much just a "level complete" thing.

Level 3 scrolls. But when you reach this point, it still scrolls but is at least easier from that point to the end of the level.

Almost had it!

Next level! This is actually a tricky beginning. There's... a trick to it that you can't see there.

I died next to it, but yeah there it is.

Just waiting for the moving platform to take me there. Look, there's a bus on top of the screen! Speaking of top of the screen, I'm already at 51 failures.

Made it to the checkpoint, and there's 2 ways I can go from here. Down and past the stone face, or fall a bit and jump through the middle of the 2 spikes. That is faster if you're really good. Otherwise, just go below and have some patience.

That took 11 lives out of me. Well I'm here, now to go down below without being zapped. No, the electric fields don't go away.

The treasure is miiiine!

Level 5! You slide a bit on the blue tile platforms.

This probably took the most lives out of me when I started playing this game.

From 75 to 84 lives, not too bad as I expected! Oh, this is an invisible platform. It's a very helpful one but you don't need it to climb up, just wait for the moving platform. Checkpoint is so clooose.

Passed the checkpoint, passed the ice ball statue and the 2 smashers. Am now sliding off to the next ice ball statue.

Awww and it was so close to the end of the level too!

Treasure in sight! For some reason, I keep thinking this is the last level. But it's not!

Level 6 now. This is pretty cruel, especially if you're not paying attention! There's actually a hint in the level itself (you can see it in this screen) where the invisible platforms are.

So close yet so far! If I can get up the platform to the right, then I can make the rest up to the checkpoint okay! Also... 96 failures. Will I be able to beat the level in under 100 failures??

Didn't make it to the checkpoint so I'm back at the beginning. I got a bit careless.

So close, so close, come ooonnnnn. Also, already passed the 100 failures that I set for myself. So no, not gonna happen.

Passed the checkpoint! I think I'll go down below.

I think I found something weird in this treasure box.

I rescued the princess! Only took 115 failures to do so!

Anyway, that is Super Boink-o-Doink! It is strangely fun and you get better at it as you play more of it. So instead of 600+ failures you might start doing, you'll get under 100. I'm sure some fanatic has done it in 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Semi-Random Game Box