Saturday 21 May 2011

Ghosts 'N Goblins (C64)

Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts publicly humiliated me, now I'm going after the first game in the series for revenge.

This is the first Commodore 64 game I've ever played by the way, so I'm not sure what to expect from it.

Arthur seems a little smaller on screen than I remember. Also unlike the sequel, there's no double jump in this. I double checked.

Ghosts 'N Goblins (Arcade)
Ah, the arcade version looks a bit more like Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts. The poor Commodore 64 isn't quite able to match these graphics, but the gameplay seems more or less the same so far.

Okay, coming out of the ground beneath my feet is clearly cheating. I want that hit point back.

Okay that's a terrible blurry screenshot and I apologise for that.

Ghosts 'N Goblins (Arcade)
Here, have another look at the arcade version to distract you. Both versions have the flashy coin near the tree and the red headed zombies. And Arthur running around in his underwear because he's lost a hit point.

They've both also got this damn plant on the top right there, that likes to shoot me when I'm climbing the ladder. Or when I'm surrounded by zombies so I have a choice between standing still and getting hit, or jumping onto a zombie and getting hit. I'm really not a fan of that plant.


A FEW LIVES LATER.


Is this a boss fight? He swooped around like a boss, but I was able to beat him after a few attacks so I'm guessing no.

Jumping onto a tiny moving platform is more difficult than you'd expect when you can't control your jumps once airborne.

Same problem when jumping off the tiny moving platform. Especially when I'm under attack by blurry things.

I mistimed the jump, fell short, hit the water and died. Then next time I managed to jump far enough, hit the enemies, fell in the water and died. Then I accidentally jumped straight up, but you can't steer the guy when he's airborne, so the platform sailed away and I fell straight back down in the water and died.

Once I even made it to land, and immediately got taken out by the enemies. But then I tried again, fell in the water and died. So for this game my name shall be 'idiot'.


Onto the next game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Semi-Random Game Box